What Are Hydraulic Pumps And How Do They Work?
Here at Flowfit, we stock a range of hydraulic products for your every need. Working closely with our suppliers and manufacturers, we are able to offer our customers the latest, and only the very best, hydraulic products.
We also stock an extensive range of hydraulic pumps, that have been designed for long-lasting and reliable service.
What Are Hydraulic Pumps?
A Hydraulic pump is a device that combines mechanical and liquid components to provide pressure and power to a hydraulic system.
The hydraulic pump creates a flow of liquid and the size of (and speed generated by) the pump determines how much fluid can be moved. Though the process doesn’t generate pressure, the flow of the liquid makes it possible for pressure to develop, which is ultimately how a hydraulic system functions.
How Do Hydraulic Pumps Actually Work?
A hydraulic pump has two major functions;
- Firstly, the pump’s mechanical action creates a vacuum which allows pressure to force liquid from its source, into the pump inlet.
- Secondly, the mechanical action then controls the flow of the collected liquid from the hydraulic pump outlet and into the hydraulics system. The moving parts within the hydraulic pump itself work to confine the fluid.
Once this fluid has been confined to a certain volume, it is displaced to increase the energy it provides whilst it moves through the remainder of the hydraulic system.
Types of Hydraulic Pumps
There are a number of different Hydraulic Pumps. Generally, there are two classifications for hydraulic pumps – positive displacement and negative displacement. Most hydraulic systems use positive displacement.
- Gear pumps- Most basic and common types of pumps for hydraulic fluid power applications, this gear pump uses a gear to pump fluid by displacement up to 275 bar.
- Axial Piston pump- Used in high pressure hydraulic systems up to 350 bar. An axial piston pump creates flow and pressure via a number of pistons.
- Handpumps- Hydraulic handpumps are a mechanical source of power that converts mechanical power into hydraulic energy by pushing a hand lever up and down creating force (pressure) and flow (litres).
Why Choose Flowfit For Your Hydraulic Needs?
Flowfit are proud to say that we supply hydraulic products and services to over 9000 customers worldwide. Similarly, we take pride in our ability to offer all of our customers the very best prices and consistent, friendly customer service. We are so confident in the reliability of our products that each one comes with a 12-month guarantee as standard.
For further information on all of our products and services, don’t hesitate to contact the Flowfit team on 01584 876 033 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require a certain quantity of our products then we are able to offer quantity discounting, so please enquire when you contact us.